- Recent Posts
- Grooming & Personal Care
- Hair Care
- Squatch Men: Lifestyle
- The Great Outdoors
- Natural Living & Health
- Man Stuff
- Ultimate Guides
Body Odor & Men: Causes and How to Fix It
Let’s be honest. Nobody likes to stand or sit next to a stinky person. It’s just plain gross, disgusting, yucky—you get the picture. Unfortunately, in most cases, the person with the offending odor is totally oblivious to the fact that they smell awful. The truth is that most people cannot smell their own body odor. If you find yourself falling prey to the “the stench monster,” you may have wondered what causes body odor and what can you do about it?
Causes of body odor
- HEALTH CONDITIONS:
Trimethylaminuria can cause a person to smell bad. It’s a genetic disorder that makes it impossible for the body to break down trimethylamine, a chemical compound that has a pungent odor. As this compound builds up in the body, it causes affected people to give off a strong odor in their sweat, urine, and breath. According the Mayo Clinic, body odor could also be a sign of undetected diabetes.
- CERTAIN FOODS: What you eat can directly impact how you smell. Foods like garlic, asparagus, cabbage, broccoli, onions can leave you smelling funky. If you’re a steak lover, you may want to cut down on the red meat. Researchers say it can contribute to body odor as well.
- STRESS: Believe it or not, body odor can be a sign that you’re overwhelmed, overworked and suffering from anxiety. When we are stressed, it can sometimes cause us to sweat. And when you sweat more, you smell more. Sweat creates an environment that is more prone to bacteria overgrowth.
- POOR HYGIENE: This one is probably a no brainer. Skipping showers or failing to brush your teeth allows bacteria and other germs to basically have a “party” on your body at your expense.
- IMPROPERLY WASHED CLOTHES: A great deal of body odor comes from clothes, not from your body. If your clothes aren’t getting cleaned correctly, find a cleaner or washing machine that actually works.
Common places where guys it
Armpits, feet and groin are the three common areas where guys tend to suffer from body odor the most. They tend to be the places where men are the most prone to sweating. According to health experts, when sweat meets bacteria on the surface of your skin, it produces an odor.
Via Laura D’Alessandro/Flickr
Things guys can do to fix it
- WASH YOUR BODY REGULARLY: To kill bacteria that can live on your body, takes showers often. For most people, even a day without a shower can cause body odor. Don’t risk it.
- WEAR DEODORANT/COLOGNE: Deodorants/Colognes mask the foul scent under your arms by killing the bacteria that contributes to the stench. Avoid antiperspirants containing aluminum as these can clog the pores and prevent perspiration, which is natural for the body. While most guys apply it to their underarms in the morning, feel free to apply to apply it as much as needed.
- AVOID CERTAIN FOODS: As mentioned earlier, certain foods can promote body odor. If you find yourself suffering from body odor, give up certain foods that you find yourself eating often to rule out the culprit.
- WEAR CLEAN CLOTHES: When exposed to the elements, bacteria and other germs can grow on your clothing. Therefore, wear clean shirts, shorts, socks daily. Fresh clothes help keep body odor down.
- CONSULT WITH A DOCTOR: Even after making a conscious effort to shower daily, apply deodorant and avoid certain foods, sometimes body odor will still persist. If that’s the case, that might be the time when to seek medical attention to make sure your body odor isn’t part of a bigger problem.
Tue, Oct 11, 2022• Grooming & Personal Care
Squatch Nation is the best, and sometimes we get reviews that are, ah, interesting. Obviously we had to share some of our recent favorites. Strap ...Read More
Tue, Oct 11, 2022