ASSEMBLE! A Deep Dive Into Avengers Lore
From their debut in the 60’s on the comic pages to the big screen, Marvel’s Avengers are some of the most iconic comic characters in history. Ready for a deep dive into Avengers lore? Prepare to assemble, we’re embarking on a fun fact-filled adventure right now!
- The Avengers first appeared together in 1963’s Avengers #1 with the now legendary prologue “And there came a day, a day unlike any other…” and are often referred to as “Earth’s Mightiest Heroes”.
- The Avengers have battled many, many infamous villains. Their first foe? None other than the legendary Loki. They battled Ultron for the first time in Avengers #55 but perhaps their most famous nemesis, Thanos, actually first appeared in the Iron Man stand alone comics.
- While he came to be known as the leader of the Avengers, Captain America didn’t actually join the team until issue #4.
- One of the most iconic heroes of all time, Captain America made his debut in Captain America Comics #1 waaaay back in 1941!
- Captain America’s trusty shield debuted with him in his first issue and is made from the incredibly strong (but fictional) material Vibranium.
- Steve Rogers became Captain America and gained enhanced strength and stamina when the scientist Abraham Erskine subjected him to the experimental Super Soldier Serum and a blast of powerful Vita-Rays.
- Tony Stark first appeared as Iron Man in 1963’s Tales of Suspense #39 with his custom-built, Arc Reactor-powered armor, but initially kept his identity a secret and told the world Iron Man was his bodyguard.
- The original Iron Man armor was actually silver and didn’t get it’s trademark red and yellow treatment until Tales of Suspense #48.
- Along with his powerful and mythical hammer Mjolnir, the legendary God of Thunder landed on the pages for the first time in 1963’s Journey into Mystery #83.
- Among his legendary foes, Thor has battled his adopted brother Loki, the God of Mischief, the villainous leader of the Dark Elves Malekith, and the Goddess of Death, Hela.
- Thor’s home of Asgard is one of the Nine Realms, based on Norse mythology, with the others being Midgard (Earth or the mortal realm), Alfheim, Hel, Jotunheim, Muspelheim, Nidavellir, Svartalfheim, and Vanaheim.
- First debuting in 1962’s The Incredible Hulk #1, mild-mannered scientist Bruce Banner gained the power to transform into his green-skinned alter ego the Hulk after an accident blasted him with a massive dose of gamma radiation.
- Anger commonly triggers Hulk’s transformations and when he, well, goes green, Bruce gains incredible superhuman strength, durability, power, leaping abilities, and healing.
- Memorable Hulk foes include his longtime government nemesis General Thaddeus “Thunderbolt” Ross (who would himself go on to gain Hulk powers as the “Red Hulk”) and another gamma- irradiated arch-nemesis, Emil Blonsky, aka The Abomination.
- Not only known for his legendary smashing, the Hulk can also cause massive damage with his signature “Thunderclap” move, when he slaps his hands together causing a massive shockwave.
Score your very own Dr. Squatch Avengers Collection right here!
Wed, Jul 19, 2023•
Summer’s here and we’re back with some more of our go-to under-the-radar summer destinations! Plus, as a special bonus for this go 'round we polled...Read More