Is A Skincare Routine B.S.?
Yeah, yeah, we know. When you hear the words “skincare routine” you probably cringe a little bit. Maybe it feels fancy or fussy, or it’s just too complex to give a crap about. But, the truth is, taking care of your skin doesn’t have to be complex and it’s SUPER important. Let’s get into it.
First, let’s talk some numbers. Let’s see them receipts!
According to our survey:
- 33% of men admit they don't wash their face on a daily basis.
- Men 18-24 are 2x as likely to never wash their face compared to men 45-54.
- 83% of men 65 or older agree that men need to look after their skin while only 59% of men 18-24 feel that way.
- 63% of men do not regularly wash their face, 11% have never even tried it.
- 33% of men use bar soap to wash their face; 20% of men use body wash to wash their face.
- 45% of men think that using regular soap is just as effective as face wash.
Crazy right? Yeah we thought so too. So, it seems like it’s time for some more info and tips on why a “skin care routine” actually isn’t B.S. at all.
Throughout the day the skin on your face is continually covered with oil, bacteria, pollutants, dirt, and old (dead) skin cells. Daily face washing removes these impurities to give the skin a fresh look and feel. Without washing, your skin would be covered with a layer of dirt and grime, which can clog your pores and leave the skin looking dull.
How it impacts you:
- Skin that feels and looks dirty, oily, greasy and significantly aged
- Clogged pores leading to irritation and acne
- Redness, dryness, inflammation, itchiness, and early aging over the long term
The bottom line is, your face, well, faces a lot of punishment in your day-to-day life. Plus, the more delicate, sensitive skin of your face requires a little bit of extra TLC when it comes to cleansing. Not to mention, men have specific needs when it comes to their skin (thicker, oilier skin, facial hair or scruff), making it even more important to pay attention to.
Enter your new routine MVP, a PROPER face wash.
How Face Wash Works + Why It’s Important
Face wash is not just about cleansing your face. A proper dermatologist-tested product is important because it’s specifically designed with ingredients and functions to be a skincare game changer that regular 47-in-1 goo just can’t touch.
Here’s what we mean:
- Gets rid of dirt, oil, and grime
- Gently scrubs away dead skin cells and impurities
- Primes your skin for more effective moisturizing
- Makes your skin look healthy and refreshed
To dive in deeper, we need to talk a bit about surfactants, the primary active ingredient in any cleanser. Surfactants work by binding to dirt and grime and lift them away from the skin, which are then carried away by water. Not all surfactants are created equal though. Some are more harsh on the skin than others (for example, SLS which is commonly found in commercial cleansers and many of the widely-available body washes and soaps out there). So the type of surfactants in whatever you’re scrubbing your mug with is important, and more specifically, should be geared towards the needs of your facial skin.
Why Dr. Squatch Face Wash Is Different
Sure, we’re biased but we’ve got the goods. We use only the best natural ingredients Mother Nature has to offer for a reason, they rule. The surfactants used in our face wash and soaps are naturally-derived, so they’re milder on skin. Plus we also pack our face wash with beneficial ingredients like Green Coffee Bean extract, an antioxidant-rich exfoliant, mineral-rich Aloe Vera, and impurity-absorbing charcoal.
Not to mention, our face wash:
- Is free of sulfates, parabens, and phthalates
- Cleanses and exfoliates in 1 easy step
- Is dermatologist-tested + ph balanced
- Gentle enough for all skin types
Wed, Jul 19, 2023•
Summer’s here and we’re back with some more of our go-to under-the-radar summer destinations! Plus, as a special bonus for this go 'round we polled...Read More